Ascendis – Health of the Nation
The Ascendis – Health of the Nation programme partners with Sporting Chance, an organisation established in 1990 with the goal to use sport to positively impact the lives of children in South Africa. Today Sporting Chance has grown to become a leading sports coaching and development organisation, empowering the youth to use sport and physical activity to break down the barriers of culture, race, gender and economics.
The Ascendis – Health of the Nation programme has evolved over the years, including a research project and a 50 hour sports challenge event. This year the Ascendis – Health of the Nation partners with Disney Healthy Happy Play to form a hugely impactful programme reaching 40 schools and 20 000 learners in four provinces around South Africa. The 3 phase health promotion and educational programme is a unique initiative that encourages physical education within the school system and embraces the positive role that healthy living can play in a childs life in South Africa.
In the South African educational environment there is a great need to assist educators to achieve their learning outcome objectives, by supplementing the curriculum with attractive, significant content. Interactive teaching has proven to be successful in getting learners to absorb, and retain, learning outcomes and it is on this premise that our edu-module was developed.
The programme consists of three phases and is currently being rolled out by our team of passionate and vibey coaches:
• Phase 1: ‘Edutainment’ assembly session – music-filled, fun morning assembly sessions at the various schools, in which the importance of physical activity and balanced nutrition is communicated in a lively and entertaining format to teachers and learners covering grades 2-6.
• Phase 2: Edu Module – for Grade 3 teachers and learners. The colourful, exciting workbooks focus on the importance of physical activity, how to participate in sport and play, and their subsequent positive effects. Included in the module is a focus on balanced eating and nutrition. Teachers are supplied with workbooks and lesson plans, and learners with worksheets.
• Phase 3: The Jungle Vites physical education and sports challenge – for teachers and learners in grades 3-5. This aims to create excitement around being physically active with a focus on quality sports coaching and getting learners to play in a structured environment. It includes demonstrations of exercises and drills followed by mini games and matches in various types of sport. Schools receive physical education manuals containing exercises and drills, and a comprehensive leave-behind sports kit to enable them to take the programme forward.
• Create a 3 phase health promotion and educational program focusing on the basis and importance of leading a healthy and active lifestyle
• Offer interactive activities to encourage learning and make it more fun – and thus more effective
• Deliver quality education resources with an innovative approach to delivering the curriculum
• Up skill educators with education resources and material
• Empower schools with sport equipment and accompanying manuals
• Provide ongoing guidance and mentorship to the programme schools
• Create a positive healthy learning experience that shows children the value of leading a healthy lifestyle in building a positive future